Who we are?
TransferWise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission: Money without borders - so people and businesses can send and receive any currency effortlessly, whenever, wherever.
Sure, the heart of what we do is international money transfer. And we’re committed to making it instant, convenient and fair for millions of people, all over the world. But we’re growing our other products and our teams at an exciting pace. And we’re looking for the very best to jump on board.
What are we working on?
We are building robust, scalable, and error-free integrations with a variety of partners and providers across Europe, so our customers can send money across borders with minimal fuss and maximum confidence.
We still cannot provide our services in Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia, Iceland, Macedonia, Moldova, Serbia. We are just getting started!
On the other hand, understanding the difference between existing markets across the continent is a huge challenge. Providing a truly local experience is even harder. We constantly experiment and iterate extremely quickly, validating dozens of different hypothesis at the same time.
We work across the whole product - starting from building banking integrations and ending with research on why our customers recommend us to their friends. Being involved in the product lifecycle is a huge part of being part of our team.
We participate in our mobile engineering efforts - still plenty of opportunities to work on our iOS and Android apps
So, what you’ll be working on?
When modern technology integrates with the antique world of outdated payment solutions used by banks, innovative ideas are needed to bridge the gap in a transparent, convenient way. Our team is building world class tools to scale our internal operations and systems to help achieve our goal of nearly free international money transfers. Product growth also requires new tools for our customers so they can resolve typical payment problems without contacting us - not only helping us scale, but helping customers have a 10x better experience even for problematic transfers.
The team follows Agile methodologies to approach and solve customers’ problems via development of impactful functions, automate processes and measure results. We are moving fast and sometimes break things, but we learn from mistakes without blame or drama.
You'll travel often & work together with teams in Tallinn, Budapest, London, New York, Singapore, etc.
For a sneak - peek into our Engineering culture, check: http://tech.transferwise.com/
What are we looking for?
- Several years experience with Spring framework (SpringBoot especially) and database abstraction layers like Hibernate
- Experience working with MySQL databases, query optimisation and designing schemas
- High coding standards - understanding of test coverage best practices & test pyramid concept
- Be familiar with Docker
- Experience with Zookeeper / Eureka
- Hands on knowledge of system integration patterns - REST, messaging, Apache Kafka, event streams
And a few more things:
- Product engineers only - Here at TransferWise we don’t hire coders, who pick up tickets from a backlog and push code to production without considering value and impact.
- 2+ years industry experience with an OO language preferably Java
- Hands on experience with relational databases, query optimisation
- Be familiar with Continuous Delivery approach
Mindset & nice to haves:
- Solid knowledge working in AWS environment
- Passionate about technology and its relationship with product and user experience
- Ability to work independently - identify problems, create plans and implement solutions to them
- Broad understanding of the concept of minimum viable product (MVP)
- Ability to articulate complex and technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Knowledge/interest in payment platforms, foreign exchange & highly complex systems
- UI experience || Groovy is a huge plus
- Be a customer of TransferWise